The history of the Lake Louise Field Station, from its 1951 purchase by George Leiby to its acquisition in 2009 by Valdosta State University, provides an interesting and varied look into the stewardship critical to teaching and research and the role played by the station in the development of the fields of paleoecology, paleotempestology and ethnohistory. During this 58-year period several individuals played critical roles in the development of this 76.9 hectare field station as a natural area for teaching and research. Notable among them were George and Louise Leiby who, working with Leo Lorenzo and Clyde Connell, set aside the station as a natural area for teaching and research. From the 1960s to the present, WA Watts, H Grissino-Mayer, J Tepper, D Hyatt, and J Pascarella and others have conducted research that has provided critical insight into the history and ecology of the area extending to 47,000 BP.
Paul T. Riggs; John B. Pascarella; and Bechler, David L.
"The Ethno- and Research History of the Lake Louise Field Station, Valdosta State University, Valdosta, GA,"
Georgia Journal of Science, Vol. 68, No. 2, Article 7.
Available at: http://digitalcommons.gaacademy.org/gjs/vol68/iss2/7